POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : oddity in media.cpp : Re: oddity in media.cpp Server Time
2 Jul 2024 10:08:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: oddity in media.cpp
From: jute
Date: 18 Oct 2004 08:50:00
Message: <web.4173bbae82c5f45e67c1c3ff0@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>   What would be the point of having tons of people throwing random thoughts
> and usually just creating endless flamewars about tiny details of the new
> design?

Null.  However, it doesn't necessary get to that, and there are various ways
of implementing the shades of gray :)

Open discussion about the design is, imho, more important than the same
about actual implementation.

>   It's often a better idea to have one or at most two experts who are
> responsible of the main design.

Very true.  Open discussion however doesn't imply an open design.  I for one
would be very happy to let the experienced POV-coders to do the actual
design decisions, but I'd like to know I have a fair chance of being heard
if I happen to come up with an idea or problem I think is worth noting.

>   If the design of pov4 would be based on public discussion, most of the
> input would be of the type "why don't we make it in Java" and "let's make
> the SDL based on XML" and attrocities like that, and there would simply
> be endless flamewars with people advocating something and other people
> opposing it.

There are *so* many ways of avoiding that.  The funniest one probably being,
set up a mailing list where Thorsten can allow entrance to people he deems
worthy :-) (it would probably be one the best ways too!)

I've been waiting for a good spot to bring up one particular concern of
mine, and while this probably isn't the perfect spot, I'll open my mouth
anyway.

The POV-Ray SDL.  I read from a post that v4 will include a new version of
the SDL.  Is this true?  How extensive are the planned changes?  Why, if I
may ask, are they required?

--
jussi.kantola